We help organizations proactively comply with employment laws. We also provide objective workplace fact-finding investigations.
Employment Law Compliance
Employers from startups to large corporations must comply with a wide array of federal and state employment laws around critical issues such as hiring and termination decisions, payroll, employee handbooks, and more.
We advise clients on specific ways to proactively prevent issues through improved workplace practices and more formalized procedures. Our employment law compliance expertise includes:
- Employment Law Advice: Employee discipline and termination, harassment and discrimination complaints, restructuring and layoffs
- Disability & Absence Management: Disability accommodations, leaves of absence, return to work programs
- Employee Handbooks and Agreements: Executive employment agreements, severance agreements, confidentiality agreements (NDAs)
- Wage & Hour Advice: Overtime (FLSA) exemption analysis, independent contractor analysis, pay equity analysis, payroll compliance
Harassment Prevention & Employment Law Training
One of the most effective and efficient ways of reducing legal risks is to educate HR, managers and staff on relevant workplace legal issues and their role in carrying them out.
We have extensive training experience and a deep commitment to providing useful, engaging educational programs with a real-world sensibility. Our fast-paced, interactive trainings are customized for each client and continually updated to reflect the latest legal developments.
We offer trainings in a classroom environment, via webcast, or as one-on-one sessions. Topics include:
- Harassment Prevention Training for Managers and Staff (AB 1825- & SB 1343-compliant)
- One-On-One Sensitivity Training
- How to Conduct Workplace Investigations
- Managing Time Off and Leaves of Absence
- Employment Law for Managers
“Mary has conducted fact-finding investigations for our clients over the years and has always approached her investigations with a knowledgeable, objective perspective. From conducting thorough interviews, to providing comprehensive factual reports with helpful credibility assessments and clear conclusions, she enabled us to determine the right next steps with confidence."
Diane Marie O’Malley, Esq., Partner, Hanson Bridgett, LLP
An investigation into harassment, discrimination or other workplace misconduct is not only a legal requirement but a practical necessity. The ramifications of such allegations are serious not only for the accused, but for the complaining party and the entire organization.
Our firm conducts prompt, thorough and objective fact-finding investigations for a wide variety of employers including large and small companies, educational and public sector institutions, and nonprofit organizations. Our investigations provide a sound basis for determining the appropriate remedial action. Ms. Topliff has provided deposition and trial testimony regarding investigations she has conducted.
Our workplace investigations focus on:
- Sexual, racial and other forms of harassment, hostile work environment, and discrimination complaints
- Gender bias and other protected class-based complaints
- Sexual misconduct and other workplace violence complaints
- Retaliation and whistleblower complaints
- Complaints regarding ethics or other business practice/code of conduct violations
We have conducted workplace investigations for preeminent law firms' clients, including:
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Hanson Bridgett LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Farella Braun + Martel LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.