Founded in 1997, The Law Offices of Mary L. Topliff specializes in helping organizations create positive work environments and avoid lawsuits. We provide our clients with tools, knowledge and insights to proactively prevent problems and effectively address issues when they arise.
Whether you’re looking for advice on a specific employment law matter, training for HR and managers, or a workplace investigator, we provide practical solutions tailored to your needs.
About Mary L. Topliff
Mary L. Topliff has specialized in employment law counseling, training and compliance for over 30 years. She regularly advises business owners and human resources professionals on all aspects of workplace issues with the goal of preventing costly disputes. Ms. Topliff frequently conducts wage and hour audits, workplace investigations and provides post-investigation consulting services. She also negotiates employment and separation agreements for executives.
Ms. Topliff is a frequent speaker and author on practical applications of workplace legal issues. She publishes the Workplace Wave, which features updates and insights on the latest legal and legislative employment law developments. Ms. Topliff serves on the Editorial Review Board for the State Bar of California’s Labor and Employment Law Review. She also served as an adjunct faculty member with San Francisco State University’s College of Extended Learning from 1999-2008.
Ms. Topliff has been admitted to the California State Bar since 1988. She received her Juris Doctorate from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law and her B.S. in Business Administration with an emphasis on Human Resource Management from Bowling Green State University. Prior to attending law school, Ms. Topliff was a human resources practitioner for the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- Member, Association of Workplace Investigators
- Member, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
- Mediator, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Fair Employment and Housing
- Member, American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Arbitrator, Bar Association of San Francisco’s Attorney Fee Dispute Panel
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Past Member, United States Technical Advisory Group (which developed Human Resources ISO standards)
- Past Government Affairs Director, California State Council of the Society of Human Resource Management
- Member, League of Women Voters
- Past Board of Directors Member, Goodwill Industries of San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin
- Past Board of Directors Member (and Past Chair) of Youth Leadership Institute
- Leadership California Class of 2010, a year-long program for women leaders
- Past Board of Directors Member, Northern California Human Resources Association
- Past Board of Directors Member, Financial Women’s Association
- Past Board of Trustees Member, Fort Mason Foundation in San Francisco